Saturday, October 1, 2011

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest




After reading this book, I have to say that the movie was done perfectly. I never realized that the novel is from the point of view is from Chief. This is such a great book that is probably overshadowed by the movie's success. And the movie is for the most part true to the book (besides a few scenes and more depth into the character's thought process). I remember watching this movie when I was very young and knowing that I hated Nurse Ratched, but not understanding why because I was under the impression that nurses are supposed to not be bitches and are supposed to want to heal, not hurt more.

I loved Chief's description of each character, especially Nurse Ratched and R.P. McMurphy. My favorite chapters were the ones in which Nurse Ratched is holding the group meetings and is calmly being a manipulative tyrant. I don't think there has ever been a more twisted authoritative female villain (because for a long time it does seem like she's trying to "help").

I didn't think I'd ever want to read the book (much like I have no desire to read Girl, Interrupted), but I'm glad I did.

And because I must...







No comments: