Saturday, October 8, 2011

Still Missing


People can be awful to each other.
This was such a disturbing addictive read. This is about a young realtor, Annie, who gets abducted during an open house by a person she names "The Freak".

What he does to her, the aftermath, the ripple effect of being kidnapped and held captive really makes this awesome. It was like watching a thriller. I found myself cringing at some of the chapters because the abductor was so disgusting. This book is not just about cruelty, but how we cope with it. I liked the narrator. Even though she is angry, stubborn (and rightfully so)..her sarcastic and no nonsense humor in light of her horrible circumstances really make you want to protect her even more. From the beginning, you know she survives her ordeal and that kept my interest because I wanted to know how she escaped a "cut my fingertips off" lunatic. She is talking to her shrink for the entirety of the novel, reflecting on what happened to her.

This was this authors first book. I am no expert, but I'd say she has a huge future if she keeps writing like this. This is not for everyone. People who can take Silence of the Lamb type of literature will enjoy this. Other people might put it down, especially if they are just looking for a light read at the end of the day.

No comments: