Saturday, October 17, 2009

I Know This Much Is True





After reading "She's Come Undone" (which I read years ago when I was still in high school), I really wasn't interested in another Wally Lamb book. I disliked his protagonist, which I suppose was the point, so much that I figured I wouldn't read someone who was capable of making me actually hate a character. This was totally different in that the characters are so well developed that you can't help but care for them. I bought this not really knowing what it was about. The back of the book gave no indication as to what kind of story you were reading. And I think it's better to walk into it that way. This is one of the most unique books I've read in that it has happenings in it that are hard to read (abuse, mental health problems, divorce, pediatric death, etc), but it doesn't make you not want to keep going. It's addictive. Basically, its a story about a twin brother trying to figure out his past, survive his present, and consider his future. If you start this 800 page book and say to yourself halfway through that "this is too much", keep going...it has a happy ending if you can believe it. And it'll fly by.

I can't wait for the next Wally Lamb book now.

No comments: