As you may have figured out, I love books related to WWII. This is a very, very easy read. My one annoyance was that the author kept saying "despite the fact". It was just too much, but that doesn't take away from how good a story this was.This is about a young child, Bruno, whose father works directly for Hitler. His father is a commandant and as a result, Bruno and his family must move to Austwitz (sp?) so his father can fulfill his "duties" Bruno doesn't live with the Holocaust victims, he's on a separate piece of land separated by a fence. Through this fence, he meets a boy his same age. And the story goes from there.
Bruno is so incredibly innocent. That childlike naivete makes this small little book so huge and heartbreaking.
I won't say anything else except this....The ending blew my mind. It was unexpected. It shouldn't have been shocking but it was. And I have thought about it (as the cover states) several times since I finished it. Don't look for literary mastery in this book, the story carries it enough, and that is what lets me feel good about recommending it.
No comments:
Post a Comment