Sunday, April 4, 2010

American Wife




The last time I gave up on a book was when it was in another language (it was an Irvine Welsh scottish novel). I even finished Catch 22- which was the most boring book. I stopped reading this because I thought pretty much everything was annoying about it. I didn't like the "protaganist" who was loosely, very loosely, based on Laura Bush. The author obviously hates Bush so she made his wife seem like a childish, selfish woman who disagrees and insults her husband as much as humanly possible..but then claims to love him? And I am no Bush supporter, but this was just over the top. She cheats, she gossips, but still claims to be a refined lady. It was interesting enough, but so so bad. It was like a really bad Danielle Steele book dressed up to be taken seriously. I've resolved to only read this on rainy days at work during my lunch. But I felt like this was a waste of time so I moved onto something better to read. The dialogue was mundane, the plot uninteresting, and there was so many unnecessary sex scenes it was ridiculous. And I only read about 250 pages of this 400 page book. I held on to see if it was going to get better but it just didn't. And the beginning was entertaining, but then it turns into a soap opera. And if you want to spend your time reading a book, and your time is precious, this is not the book for you. I went to Amazon to see if any reviewers felt the same way, and I was relieved to see that I wasn't missing something. You will either love this or hate this.

The kicker: The future first lady talks about how she didn't know her husband was for her until she saw his penis? Can I get a wtf on that one?

PS: The author "Curtis Sittenfeld" is a woman, not a man. So there's no excuse as to why this American Wife came off as a pompous idiot.

No comments: