Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Up Jumps the Devil

Up Jumps the Devil is, no surprise, about the Devil. And apparently the Devil is a lovesick angel gone bad who has a special place in his heart for America. I actually really enjoyed how the author took actual events and put the Devil in the situation (the Native Americans, the Civil War, the plague, etc).

The author makes the Devil a protagonist in the sense that he makes himself very,very clear when someone gives their soul to him. He gives them chances to get out of the situation and when they take advantage of his "kindness"...it was deserved.

It isn't a linear novel. It goes from the Devil and his dealings in the history of the US to following him and his relationship with three band members who each sell their souls for different reasons (one wants fame, one wants to be rich, the other wants to change the world). This jumping around was fine for me..but I noticed in some reviews that some felt it was annoying.

Definitely off-beat, definitely funny at times, but not the best book I've ever read.

No comments: