Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Investigation



What an odd book. I'm not quite sure what happened at the ending, but the rest of the book was like a very French nightmare of some sort. It was actually a lot of fun to read. Definitely for philosophy majors and the impact of role, race, gender on society blah blah blah...

This story follows the Investigator (no name given) who has traveled to a city (no name for the city either) to investigate an Enterprise (probably a company, but no name for this either) for the recent string of suicides that have taken place by the Enterprises employees.

Everything leading up to and during the investigation is bizarre. No one has a name. It's all very vague...but I think that adds to the premise. I envisioned this entire book taking place in black and white, almost like a silent movie. The Investigator runs into amusing, sometimes annoying, obstacles when trying to get his job done. My favorite was his trials and tribulations at the hotel he gets stuck at.

I definitely think this is worth a read. I read about it on mentalfloss.com on a list of interesting/off-beat books being released during the summer. I think I was the first person to borrow it from the Mid Hudson Library system ha!

Just give it a try...it's better going into The Investigation not knowing too much.

No comments: