
Masters was a sensitive child who becomes a time bomb after many years of struggle. He blames his poor decisions (including drug trafficking, robberies, gang fighting) on his lack of family structure. This is probably true for him, but there are literally millions of children in foster care that don't become armed robbers. I don't know, even after reading this heartbreaking autobiography, who he is. The book is honest enough, but clearly polished. Most of the book is about his childhood.
He's a very good writer. But this one falls short because if he's trying to convince the reader he's innocent, he needs to explain why. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in criminal justice or prisoner rights. Maybe my feelings on this book are ambivalent due to my educational background in the field. He might fool the lay reader, but it didn't fool me. I'll be very surprised if he ever goes free. I don't want him to die, but he likes to justify bad, hurtful, behavior anyway he can...and someone like that doesn't deserve to be free.
No comments:
Post a Comment