Saturday, November 22, 2008

Living with the Wolfman

I love this show. If you haven't seen it yet, this is the premise:

It's a documentary show about a man in Australia who loves wolves so much that he has a gigantic piece of his own land dedicated to them which includes a river where the wolves can fish. He has ten wolves, all of them wild. He's doing it to actually help the outside wolves (I'm not sure how yet, but I just started watching it)

He looks like a wolf too. He has a uni brow. He's very hairy. Anyway, his fiance is trying to acclimate to the wolves to fit his lifestyle. So she's having to live like he does. So even though they love each other, they both know it won't work if she isn't a part of his way of life. She has to eat their food (raw venison and elk), let them bite her, kiss her, act as their prey, everything. She can't shop for new clothes or wear perfume or makeup because the wolves freak out if they don't recognize a smell. It goes on and on. She and her fiance howl with them. She must growl at the wolves so they respect her.

Anyway, I'm hooked on it. Last weekend she met the pack leader Yana...who was seriously nothing to joke with. When she walked into his little compound, he stared at her hard which amused me. Before she went in to see if Yana would accept her in his exclusive wolf pack she had to eat an abundance of meat, three to four times a day. If she hadn't eaten the meat Yana would have probably rejected her because they can smell the meat and it gives them a sense that you're strong. Which is funny to me because a vegan and a vegetarian are the least likely to hurt them, but they'd be the first ones dead if they ever encountered a wolf.

But Yana accepted her, which was huge. Otherwise, she would have been out of luck.
I can't wait until she has to sleep with them overnight.

I <3 Animal Planet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so gonna check this out. LOL @ your description of the guy. I didn't know about the whole meat odor thing, how interesting. It seems like every time I turn on Animal Planet, it's a show about those animal welfare cops and it's way too sad to watch. But, I finally got DVR so I'll just tape this.

Elaine said...

that's exactly what I do (tape it). It's too hard to schedule around a TV show! I never watch the Animal Police either, you're not alone.

Keeffer said...

honestly that sounds like it's straight out of twilight. Hilarious.

I wish I had cable so I could watch it. I'll look for it online