Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Unwind
It has been wayyy too long since I updated this blog. Between traveling, my job, my personal life..its been hard. But I still continue to read all the time. I took a few vacation days just to have some time to myself. So, lets talk about Unwind.
I thought this was a great premise. It reminded me a lot of "Never Let Me Go" but there were differences. In "Unwind", if a parent or society (if the State feels a ward of theirs is useless), feels that their teenager is useless or a threat to society...they can donate them to science and have them "unwound". This story of survival follows three individuals at risk for being unwound. One is a young girl who became a ward of the state after losing her parents, the other is a rebellious teen boy whose parents decide to give him to science after he fails to prove himself as compared to his siblings, and a young boy who was specifically brought into the world to later become unwound (and as a result thinks its an "honor" to be a "chosen" one until he learns otherwise). Once donated to science, their boy parts and organs are removed and given to more "important" people who need them.
I thought the book was a scary look at what society does to people when they are deemed incompetent or not useful to the growth of community. There are many philosophical discussions that could come from a story like this. "Never Let Me Go" is better..if you want to compare them. But this is a definitely thriller. You will care about these characters, and the imperfect and somewhat sad ending doesn't disappoint.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment