Sunday, June 24, 2012

Alabama Moon





I found out about this book in the comments section of a CNN article about that young man who pretended to be a "forest boy" in Germany. Someone who commented (before we found out it was a hoax) said in their comment that they thought the "forest boy's" story sounded fake and seemed based on this book.
So of course I had to borrow it from the library. I thought it was pretty good. It's about a young boy named Moon who has lived in a dense forest in Alabama with his father since birth. His mother died when he was a baby, so all he knows is what his dad has told him about not trusting government and how life is better if you live it as a survivalist and not a "normal" citizen. Moon's life -as he knows it- turns upside down when his dad dies and he must fend for himself...which leads him to society--as we know it. Chaos then begins.
I thought the author did a really good job explaining how Moon and his dad survived the wild. I felt sad for Moon a lot of the time because its clear that he is being forced into our way of life. The book also has its funny, charming moments which helped balance it out.

I gave it 3/5 stars on goodreads. Btw..I just found out that this became a movie (while doing image searches). I probably won't watch it so I don't know how it would compare.

No comments: