Creative book, but just too boring for me. This follows a elevator inspector by the name of Lila Mae Watson, who is under intense scrutiny after an elevator she inspects goes into freefall. What makes it worse for her is that she is a black woman in a white male driven society (it sounds like Whitehead was going for early 60's when it comes to the era the story takes place in)It's a hard book to describe so I'll just take what goodreads has described it as:
"This marvelously inventive, genre-bending, noir-inflected novel, set in the curious world of elevator inspection, portrays a universe parallel to our own, where matters of morality, politics, and race reveal unexpected ironies."
I think I'm still interested in Zone One, and maybe this was just over my head but I couldn't wait to finish this. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good to me either. I'm sure many English majors would disagree with me. It seems like a good book for philosophy majors too.
No comments:
Post a Comment