Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Secret Life of Bees




It's not a classic (or maybe one day it will be, who knows), but its just one of those few books I can say I really enjoyed. It helped me get through the boredom of having no power during Hurricane Irene.

A story about a young girl growing up during the Civil Rights struggle in the 1960's escaping abuse and racism by hiding out with a beekeeper. It sounds weird, but its not. And you will learn a lot from this book. Especially about the amazing ways bee's live (I have a newfound respect for these insects now after learning how hard their lives actually are---think March of the Penguins but not as brutal). Also..I don't think this is a book for men. It didn't have sickening romance and there was no sugarcoating, but this story involves the loss of a mother for a little girl and I think females will connect with it more. By the way, I see that they made this into a movie and I'm glad I read it first. I'm looking at the people picked for the movie and they weren't how I envisioned the characters at all.

No comments: