Monday, October 11, 2010

Here On Earth



This has nothing to do with that movie that came out in the 90's with LeeLee Sobieski. But it was just as bad.

I read this because I joined a new book club that first starts at the end of October. This is the first pick, so I decided to give it a try and read it. I thought it was going to be better because 1. it was called a modern day Wuthering Heights (and no, it wasn't) and 2. it came from Oprah's Book Club. 3. I liked Practical Magic, and this is the same author who wrote that.

This was about romances gone wrong, cheating, domestic violence, incest and weak, flawed people and the selfish things they do that hurt one another.On the surface, those plots might seem interesting but it just didn't work in this novel. I didn't like the main character at all. She was a weak excuse for a woman, mother, and friend. And when you don't like the main character it's hard to keep going. It's definitely a "chick book".

I finished it because I want to see what the other people in the book club thought of this. I think its a book for people who like full fledged romance novel (like Danielle Steel), and that just isn't what I consider good writing or art. I don't mind romance in novels, but when its between unlikeable, self damaging people..there's only so much I could take! It doesn't take long to read, but I was glad when it was over anyway.

No comments: