Monday, August 17, 2009

Mad Men




I watched it for the first time last night. I didn't really like it. I'm no feminist but every single female character was submissive, a cheat, a gold-digger, or stupid. Sexist much? I know its set in the 50's..but come on the women are throwing themselves at the men in every pathetic way possible. I know there were smart women back then. Even the red headed office manager who is supposed to be the femme fatale was sickeningly willing to do whatever asked of her.
I might try again just to see if I missed something.Or maybe they are doing this on purpose and then the women will get some headway through the show? In that case, I'll like it a little more.

And like I said, I'm no feminist. In fact, I hate most of the women in my life because I think they are conniving, especially at my places of work. But there are times when I think the reality of how mean women can be should be shown instead of "let me open my legs for you don draper before the lunch hour is up." It's so sickening.

1 comment:

Keeffer said...

there is more to it than the male chavanist part.

i admit- it shows off the female willingness to do anything for a man of the era, but you see some of the characters becoming more and more liberated. peggy- the one who asked for the office, has gone through amazing growth on the show. and joan, the femme fatale- i think will soon be showing how little she's willing to put up with from a man just because he has money.

give it another chance. my issues with it are that i think they throw too much at it, too soap opera-ish, but we'll see if i actually get sick of it.