Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Alice in Wonderland/ Through the Looking Glass




I decided to read these two stories because I'd never officially read Alice in Wonderland or its sequel, Through the Looking Glass. I saw the Disney movie (cartoon) as well as several versions of the movie done with humans, but the endings never seemed in synch. I'm glad I didn't read it when I was younger because it probably would have just confused me.

I already knew the book was dark, so that's no surprise. I'm not surprised Tim Burton is remaking this movie.
I did discover the following by actually taking the time to read the classical version:

1. Alice is only 7. In the movies she is portrayed as a bit older like 10-13. Despite the fact that she's 7 she figures out ridiculously difficult riddles and has impeccable manners.
2. Alice is spoiled. She's rich. She is raised by her governesses.
3. Alice has an older sister who she is telling her wonderland stories to...and it seems like her sister is the only one she tells.
4. Alice IS dreaming the entire time. I remember watching a version of the story where Alice leaves the wonderland by waking up..but when she sits down to dinner with her parents, she looks at the looking glass (really just a mirror on the wall) and sees all the characters she met in wonderland smiling in at her instead of seeing her own reflection...which leads you to believe it was real. But according to the book, this is just a bored young girl. Very bored.
5. Almost every character besides Alice is miserable, drunk, overweight, creepy (cheshire cat-wtf), or confused. I don't think there was one character that was sweet.

2 comments:

Keeffer said...

they released some information and pictures from alice. in case you're interested.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56475

Elaine said...

yikes. looks just creepy.
helena bonham carter is not good for that role imo.