Sunday, August 10, 2008

End of Summer Reading


I always felt cheated by my elementary and high schools when it came to the required readings. I think I read only one William Shakespeare play ('Macbeth') but not many other classics. With the exception of my graduate school (which rightfully only focused on my field), I kind of felt I was missing something. And the Catholic school I was raised in focused on theology related works which is also understandable. But there was no excuse for my high school and my undergraduate university. The one and only book I really loved reading in high school was 'The Great Gatsby'. I actually remember the chapters even though I read it years ago at this point. Most of the classics I've read have been in more recent years and I've read many. They didn't even have us read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' - and I'm glad I read that on my own because it's an important piece.

So tonight I finished reading 'Marley and Me'. Not a classic but I cried and cried. It's not a masterpiece, it's more of a fun read for big animal lovers. I won't give anything away but I think that's the first time I've had a box of tissues near me when finishing a book. And what's worse is the author prepares you and I still couldn't control myself. I love books that focus on unique relationships that wake you up. John Grogan is no F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I'll treasure this book.

Next up, I'm going to go back to the classics and then some contemporary novels. 'Catcher in the Rye', 'Nine Stories', and 'Captains Courageous' to start. I'll mix in reading some newer books in between those.

I've read all of Vonnegut's work with the exception of 'Hocus Pocus' so I'll be reading that as well (I also missed reading his near biography-can't remember the name- which I probably won't read because 'Timequake' was very much like a tribute to his friends and to his past experiences and I'm looking for something different at the moment). There may be one or two I'm missing from Vonnegut's work. But I'll be sure to read those as well when the time comes.

Finally, I have one Palahniuk book ('Rant') which I'll read even though I know it'll probably gross me out like every other novel he's written -but he makes me laugh so who cares?

After that--I don't know!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, summer reading. I'm a Great Gastby lover too. Marley and Me seems like something I'd like, but I decided I can't read anything depressing for a while. It's great that you're catching up on the classics. I didn't know you were a Vonnegut fan until I saw you joined that group on Facebook. I've only read Slaughterhouse 5. That book was amazing.

Keeffer said...

I'd say I felt cheated by my education but really I didn't take it seriously enough. The one thing I always did was my English class reading. We read most all of the classics and I've gone back and read them again as an adult because they were so good.

I usually let myself read one good book then one fluff book then back to a good book. I feel like it's a good system.