Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Salvage the Bones


Another very well written book that I completely disliked. It's about a black family living in poverty in southern USA. The motherless family struggles with an alcoholic father, three boys with big dreams, and our female narrator- the sister. She is 14 and has just found out that she is pregnant.

Their struggle with money leads to one of the sons deciding to make money is by breeding his pitbull. While the breeding itself was enough to bother me --it was the dog fighting in the book that I just had to skim through because I couldn't take it. In a way, I think its a compliment to the author for making the dog fighting so real- but if you are an animal lover that would rather not stomach chapters where the dogs are not treated humanely, I do not recommend this book. Having  dog fight at all is wrong, but having a dog fight after they have just given birth is just plain cruel.

The story follows the family as they prepare for Hurricane Katrina to hit.

I felt like there was no character growth in this book. The family goes through so much, yet I found no change or sense of "we need to change how we behave". In reality, I know this is how people behave. I know that people have unprotected sex and get pregnant, drink themselves poor, fight their dogs, and hurt each other. But if there is no sense of change (good or bad) at the end of it all, what's the point of the book?


No comments: