It's not that this was bad - it wasn't. I just didn't really like it by the end. It starts out being about this woman and her husband who move to Alaska in the 1920's to get away from Philadelphia. The woman, who cannot have a child, is totally depressed and her husband, struggles to keep up with the hard environment of farming in Alaska. They are old and completely isolated, with the exception of neighbors that are several miles out of the way (who end up being important characters).
The woman starts seeing a mysterious little girl in the woods around her house, followed by a wild fox that seems friendly, but only to the little girl. The story centers around the old man and woman fixated on this mysterious wild child and their need to have a family and be needed.
I thought it was original until its pointed out that this is based on a short story about a childless old man and woman who make a snowgirl who comes to real life. This follows that exact premise (they do build a snowgirl and the next day the girl mysteriously appears). I think that the author wanted to expand on the story and go further about how their relationships develop and what happens to the girl when the winters end and the summers begin.
I didn't care for it after a while and just wanted it to end. I think the author writes eloquently, and I would try reading one of her books again. For some reason, this just fell flat for me. I feel bad even saying it because I think the story itself was good but I just didn't like the delivery.

No comments:
Post a Comment