Sunday, April 22, 2012
The Perks Of Being a Wallflower
I'll start out by saying that I don't like the phrase "coming of age" which is what this book is described as. Why does a character have to be a teenager for it to be coming of age? I really, really enjoyed this book about a quiet, intelligent teenager dealing with being somewhat outcast and unaware of societies social norms. He sits back and takes other people in -- their fears, loves, needs--despite the fact that they don't reciprocate his thoughtfulness. The story, told from his very funny perspective, is the closest thing I've read that could stand up to "Catcher in the Rye" except there is more finality in this one. I did not expect the ending it had and I was totally unaware of the depths of this characters demons until far into the book.
I think that even when a book is written for a young adult - which I technically am- it should still be considered a serious piece of art hence my feelings on "coming of age". Some situations this lead character found himself in are experiences people could and will have at any stage of their life. There were some lines in this book that I were simple, but for some reason felt profound to me.
It's an easy read. Not for everyone because there is some seriously mental stuff that happens. I think it's worth putting on your reading list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment