Damned is about a 13 year old obese girl who has died from a marijuana "overdose" and ends up in Hell. This goes into what Hell is like (from a Palahniuk point of view...so be prepared for some nastiness) and the experiences she has with a small group of misfits who are with her in Hades.
The book is more episodic than linear. So, one chapter she's locked up in jail, another minute she's doing what's considered employment in Hell (telemarketing during human's dinner hour), or she's fighting a demon, it goes on. I thought her back story of her short life on Earth was interesting. She's basically the biological daughter of two beloved famous people who care more about their image than their daughter (adopting kids from around the world like Brad and Angelina).
I didn't really get the ending (like the last two pages) and the last page said "To be continued..." which leads me to believe there will be a follow up. Palahniuk has never had a series..so I'm not sure if I'm guessing correctly.
If you work or go to school, it'll take you maybe two days to read. So I think its worth it if you've read Palahniuk before. His world of Hell is not as creative as I thought he'd make it...but I'm sure there was a reason for that. It's possible that I'm desensitized to him after reading him and Irvine Welsh for nearly a decade. But it's still fun :)
No comments:
Post a Comment