
Another one from a top ten list of 2011 that I saw somewhere (its one of the best thing about New Year's- when all those "great book " lists come out and titles I never heard of are there). I end up going through so many top ten lists that I don't remember which list I found a particular book from.
This was good but I don't think someone who isn't into baseball, or just doesn't know much about baseball would find this appealing. Especially the chapters that talk about game and the play by play details. I was happy I actually watch so much baseball because when a bad play (or a good one) happened, I knew how important it was for the story's outcome.
The story itself is interesting, and the characters are well developed. Pretty much its a coming of age story about three college baseball players (the captain, a shy rookie who has promise, and the other a gay baseball player), the college president, and the college presidents confused daughter.
The story really kicks in after the shy rookie throws a disastrous pitch that ends up injuring another. It's about unrequited love, depression, dirty competition, death and all the other things that tear us apart that you don't want to think about -which are the reasons why people watch sports to begin with (to share something without the politics).
It's 80 chapters but I didn't think it was disappointing. I think its more of a book for men but thats mostly because of the heavy baseball themes. I think if you are looking for fast read, this isn't it.
No comments:
Post a Comment