Monday, January 23, 2012

The Pale King





This is the first David Foster Wallace novel I've read and I made it more than halfway through. His writing style is very complicated, but so well written that there is not way you could NOT appreciate it. I just think right now I can't get into it. Each chapter could pretty much be its own short story and sometimes its hard to figure out "where this is going". And the fact that Wallace ended his life before he could finish this book lets you know that there may be no final resolution into this look on lives of people who are in some way affected or shaped by the IRS.

I would recommend this to Wallace fans, but for me it was a hard read that I'm just not into right now. Usually, I'll struggle through a book and feel accomplished at the end but I felt like this wasn't going anywhere and that makes it hard to keep going.

I think one day I'll go back to it and re rent it from the library, but right now, the 300 pages I got into (its around 500 pages) were sufficient enough - for now. I don't think its fair for me to even give a review because I didn't get to the end of what was released..but I do know that this was a talented writer and I can totally understand his following.


No comments: