
I love reading about the smaller, or ignored, cultures within American soil (such as the Amish, the Polygamists, the Mormons, the Native American reservations, etc).
I never thought I'd read a Picoult book because she just isn't my style. I literally googled "fiction books on the Amish" and this came up. Even though I did learn a lot about Amish life from this novel, the story and its development was just "ok". The premise is about an Amish teenager who gets accused of killing her newborn child conceived out of wedlock (and she gets defended by a city lawyer who is forced to live with the Amish in order for the girl to be able to live outside of jail - meaning the lawyer is her guardian). So naturally, a lot is divulged on the ins and outs of what goes on with the Amish.
In terms of the plot, it sounds good on the surface (an unsolved murder, a culture that doesn't understand "English" law, and a city attorney stuck milking cows), but by the beginning to middle of the book, an avid reader will figure out the catch which Picoult leaves for the very last two pages of the novel. And even when she does give you the hook you were hoping she wouldn't go with, the author contradicts everything we've learned about the forgiveness and peacefulness of the Amish. The book is a fun read despite its huge flaw. The trial is interesting to go through as well. There were some really cheesy parts that make you realize time and again that Picoult is trying to reach her woman base. I am a woman and I think the lovey dovey crap of the attorney's life was a waste of time (or maybe I'm just cold hearted?).
In short, if you want to read something easy and learn a little more about Amish (or Plain life), I say go for it. But if you want to read something a bit more substantial, then pass on this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment