
"crooked letter, crooked letter" refers to the way school children are taught to spell "Mississippi": "M I crooked letter crooked letter I crooked letter I humpback I".
I enjoyed this story about two very different boys growing up in Southern Mississippi, Larry Ott and Silas Odell. One boy is black, the other white. They eventually go separate ways, but not before life changing events happen that determine the outcome of the rest of their lives. The story actually takes place in present time with tidbits of their past, that took place right after the Civil Rights movement, interwoven throughout the book. There were surprises in this book, some maddening, some sad, and some just shocking. I looked forward to reading it at the end of the day.
Right from the beginning, the book is interesting. No build up...the author gets right into the thick of it.
Larry, a complete outcast after being accused of committing murder in an unsolved crime as a teenager, becomes a suspect again as an adult after another young girl goes missing. Silas, now a police officer, and no longer close to Larry, finds out life changing information as he investigates the crimes.
I'd recommend this to anyone who just wants to read something suspenseful. It won't be the best book you'll read but it is interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment