Friday, December 3, 2010

Brave New World




Loved it. I can't believe this was written in 1931. Huxley was way before his time. The opinions on religion, sex, the sanctity of family, sex, and marriage must have been appalling to people at the time. I love the way this future society looks on our present day society like we are freaks (ex: they think its okay for four year olds to explore their sexual feelings, wtf!) while, of course, that is totally against the norm is most societies. And that's just the start. People who still live like we all do ( we came out of a womb) are considered freaks and savages. In that sense, this was a little like "Never Let Me Go" (the creation of people in a lab with their futures in education and work already decided for them). This was just amazing, again, because it was like this author thought of something that would absolutely be timeless because of its take on everything that matters to the westernized humans. I thought it was going to be a hard read, but it wasn't. The first chapetr is a little tricky because you just aren't used to the way things work in future society...but that passes quickly, and the rest of the read is just golden.

I will read this again.

No comments: