
Immensely creative. I could not put this book down. Narrated from the perspective of "Death"--who is actually entertaining and funny at times prior to and during World War II. He tells the story of Liesel Meminger, a young German girl who becomes a book thief and an avid storyteller while growing up with her foster parents.
I absolutely refuse to give anything else away because I feel like I'd diminish how powerful this story was. This book was very, very touching. In the face of absolute evil, you are invited to see one of "Death's" stories on what makes humans wonderful as well.
I can see why it was on the New York Times Bestseller list for so long in 2006.
By the way...a stack of these books were sitting on the floor at a Barnes and Noble (under one of their tables). I'm so glad it caught my eye.
No comments:
Post a Comment