Monday, December 28, 2009

The Linnet Bird




Set in Liverpool in the 1800's, this is an excellent account of a woman born into poverty, used and abused, forced into prostitution, and how she makes her way to be a respected wife in India. This is a first person account, a very easy, interesting read that goes far too quickly.

This was just amazing. I enjoyed this book so much even though it was heartwrenching. It's funny, if I had seen this book in the bookstore or library, I probably would have never read it or even picked it up. But a coworker lent it to me, and I trust her taste...and I just can't believe how much I ended caring about these characters. I now want to read this author's other books (which she always sets in another time completely which makes you escape even more into the characters).

I strongly recommend this book.

No comments: