Saturday, November 7, 2009

Naked



More sad to me than funny. I know the point of David Sedaris are his attempts at humor through dry wit and crude observations, which are endearing but don't hide some deep insecurities he has about his family, his sexuality, his friends, and his success. Even though its clear most of the stories are seriously embellished and he'd be a liar to deny it. His insecurity comes out in nearly every line he says or writes. The book was good but I don't agree that it was "sidesplitting" like critics say on the book. It was entertaining because of its situational humor and for that, I'll keep reading him. He's like a sad clown.

1 comment:

Keeffer said...

ooh, but parts of that one are sidesplitting! particularly the one where he details his obsessive compulsive habits as a child and the title one- naked.

haha, and the one about he and his sisters reading the porno book.

i need to reread naked.

its his later books (dress your family in corduroy and denim) that i would describe more as bitter sweet than sidesplitting