I'd like to start off by saying I started reading this book in 2007 and then life got crazy and I stopped reading altogether. So I finally finished this book (had to start re reading because I'd forgotten most of it). Some of the stories here and very researched and as a result deeply fascinating. It's not the normal grotesque Palahniuk. The first chapter is, but then it's over.
He has three sections: 1. Groups of People (he talks about real life massacres, sports, etc). 2.People : Marilyn Manson, Charity Workers, Other Authors and then 3. Himself.
I think I liked the first two sections the most. He talks a lot about his father, who he was close with, and how he was murdered just when Fight Club, the movie was coming out. It's heartbreaking, and it's worse because he's not trying to be heartbreaking.
This isn't my favorite Palahniuk. The last section titled "Personal" was not my favorite. All he talks about is Fight Club and Brad Pitt this and Brad Pitt that. Otherwise, this was a quick read for me. You'll learn about real people, real underground societies, and the crazy things happening outside of the US that makes our problems pale in comparison. I think differently of Palahniuk completely now. I have more respect for him coz I now know he's not some shock writer just trying to gross us all out. There is a method and a real reason behind every single story he writes.
No comments:
Post a Comment