
I'm not a big Picoult fan because some of her novels have a cheese factor to them, but this was good. Not too much romantic nonsense either which is usually why I avoid Picoult. I do admire this book though..because it's a difficult topic about a misunderstood spectrum disorder. The novel is about a young teenager with Asperger's named Jacob who gets accused of murder. Each chapter comes from a different character in the story making it a very character driven book. It was over 500 pages, but I enjoyed it and it went quickly. Picoult did a good job of having the reader experience how difficult it was to understand Jacob, especially when it comes to some of his behaviors, which seem frustrating because he's so "literal" and a poor communicator as a result (I'll be back in a second, means I'll literally be back in one second).
Picoult did her research on case law, Asperger's syndrome, psychology and even school based therapy...and it showed. I actually learned a lot about Asperger's. I learned a lot about autism too. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone. It's not a hard book to read, its a thriller, and by the end of the book you just want to know what happened to the victim!
No comments:
Post a Comment