
This took me a long time to read. Not because I disliked it (I read it every day) but because there were over 60 short stories (maybe more) in this book clocking in at 650 pages. Btw..the printed words are really tiny, so that makes it even longer! Some stories were previously unpublished (that he didn't finish writing) and some were well known. I have come to find that Ernest Hemingway was one morbid writer. Some of these stories were just crazy, or sick. And of course that made me want more because I wanted to read where else he was going to go. Some of the stories seemed to end abruptly but more of them made perfect sense.
He has common themes: war, sports, the ocean, and love. And he almost always makes the woman seem frail and obedient. (Ex: a woman in the last story says "I was naughty because I slept late"..and she was serious.) F that! I guess that just shows a generational difference. Along with that was Hemingway's use of the "n" word. He says it quite a bit in some of his stories. Again, I dont *think* he was racist but its just a generational thing that is hard to ignore.
I liked this.. a lot. There were so many of them that shocked me that I know I will re read some of them at some point.
No comments:
Post a Comment